Tuesday 8 May 2012

Twitter


How free is your Tweeting Bird?               
This module has brought around many firsts for me one of which is the use of Twitter. This is a medium which has been receiving a lot of attention. Radio ones hosts endless hash tag discussions and games inorder to engage listeners but also to demonstrate which presenters can get the most interaction and are there fore most popular.  Radio 1 Example of twitter advice. In terms of popularity Justin Beber is dong very well he makes top tweets most days and sneaks through your filter ( no I'm not a closset fan) on top tweets. Clearly teenage girls are the key demograpghic?

How has twitter changed my life? More than I thought, for a start I have not been buying a newspaper everyday. Eek This has been a somewhat horrifying revelation. I have enjoyed using Twitter to a point, well not enjoyed exactly more its become something I feel I need to do. Now like my email pile I hate when it gets to big.  I still hold with the notion of Twitter as a visual radio. Although this may be a characteristic of my use rather than global representation of it's use.  In fact I would like an addition where I can filter the tweets I want to read into a read later pile.  Once I pass a tweet I rarely go back regardless of my intentions.
I'd to date have been using Twitter more like a service than a communication tool. Discussions on twitter are of the moment and I always take a little longer to settle on an opinion, well at least one I be happy to defend down the line. I'm a bit like the fly on the wall.


My team converted my office chair into a Twitter perch, complete with a nestOther people who a little more keen on twitter are Sean and Co
 self confessed media geeks who apparently enjoy a touch of arts and crafts Blue Peter style with their cube bombing efforts. They have made themselves a nest and interestingly enough a cage.

 

Which brings me to the key question twitter has raised for me. How free are you really when it comes to tweeting?



Firstly it turns out that bird can get you fired! the Huffington post ran an article on 13 tweets that got people sacked. It an interesting and controversial topic.The tweets that are highlighted here are quite clear cut on being asked to rate the fainess of these actions more than 70% of people agreed it was fair. What I want to know is where is the line. Companies are begining to issue guidelines but it seems unfair that where guidlines are not given with training for copmanies who want a positive publicity that they want your good words but can sack you if they don't like it now thats not really fredom of speech is it.  I would discuss this in relation to my company but that would be unwise.

 Mike Morrison states "With many organisations publicly encouraging people to “go social” and often their customers wanting the opposite, it is only a matter of time before people are either “silenced” altogether – of firms and organisations will be outed for restrictive inappropriate behaviour" .   I think the current financial climate and shortage of jobs however gives employers the edge currently. Although most companies have reacted slowly and have differing views on appropriate use of digital media most recognise it can also benefit them. This raises for me more questions than can be answered.
With these restrains and encouragements who owns your Tweeting soul?




No comments:

Post a Comment