Tuesday 8 May 2012

Digital judgement?

Digital Judgement

Is poor spelling a digital aged impediment? 


As you will no doubt have noticed, despite my best efforts,  I am a poor speller. I have always been a poor speller and the speed of my written work has never matched the pace of my thinking. Apart from being extremely frustrating , I wonder if this has been part of my reluctance to enter the digital age with enthusiasm. Instead of being frightened to open my mouth ( which I have never been )I have been frightened to commit my thoughts to screen. People judge it's what we do. I do not recount any of my previous statements, or questioning, it's just I think this is part of the reason, the catalyst to my ethical questioning. Generally we question less of the things we like and more on the things we don't.  
I don't think I'm alone in this quandary. Digital communications allow us to speak to everyone at once, this can be a good thing? Well one of the problems of mass communication is tone and language. We don't speak to everyone in the same manner, choose the the same vocabulary or use the same tone.
 Georgina Laidlaws article on the The rapid evolution of digital language  summarises the problem of ever changing digital specific language. The problem itself is a Little wider.

In the old days of the telephone (pre caller I.D) most of us would answer in what we still revert to as our telephone voice. Once we had established who was calling we would change our tone to reflect the relationship you have with the caller. You were speaking to one person if others were listening you could move out of earshot. Now no matters who calling everyone is listening. Its harder to have multiple strands to your identity. Will we all have to have multiple online identity's to re brand ourselves to each environment? Possibly we will become personal brands: Work Angela, Recreational Angela and realistically Drunk Angela but even if you meticulously mannage your brand it will not solve the problem entirely.

I thought all this time by not being on facebook I could opt out of digital inspired problems. Turns out I'm all over facebook, (well on it) in the pictures and pages of my friends. The age old interview question of how would your friends describe you ,will in future be answered by your friends! Not how would they describe you, how do they describe you!


No comments:

Post a Comment